So Since I am kind of using this as a written scrapbook/journal for the kiddo's I figured that I would need to document the funny and crazy things that Madison does!
About a week or so ago while watching what Madi calls a bedshow (watching one of her cartoons on my bed) she turned to me and said very matter of fact, "Momma d-o-g spells dog" and then went back to watching word world. After picking my jaw up off the floor i figured that she was just repeating what she had seen on the show. Word World is a PBS show that uses letters put together to make animals, and pretty much everything on the show. I was slightly curious to see if she would do it again so later that night while we were putting her to bed I asked her to tell daddy how to spell dog. She again very matter of fact said 'dada d-o-g'. I was pretty surprised that she did it at all let alone again.
I was then pretty curious about what other small words and letters she could put together so I figured we would start with a few of her favorite animals cow and pig in addition to dog. I found a cute puzzle game at costco that spelled out 3 and 4 letter words using one letter for each piece, then when you put them together they make a picture of the word. We played it a few times and she really enjoyed it. She also would bring me her magna doodle and ask me to spell words like cow, pig, dog, cat, etc. I figured that she just really likes letters and wasn't really absorbing much because we hadn't had any jaw dropping reading moments since the dog incident.
However last night i wrote the word dog on a piece of paper and asked her what it spelled, after repeating the letters she saw she said 'dog momma'. I then wrote the word cow, this time she didn't say the letters only 'spells cow', she then did the same with pig. Needless to say I was pretty impressed that even with out pictures of the animals she knew what those 3 words were.
Now she has been able to recognize upper and lower case letters for a few months now by sight so I know that she is smart, but to really to be able to put letters together and really read simple 3 letter words at 2?? I think I'm definitely in trouble, she is like a little sponge soaking up everything and she is definitely a lover of learning!
Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yay for reading! She'll be the smartest lil kiddo in her kindergarten class.
That is awesome!
Post a Comment